A new book on education in Combe Down by Jill Woodhead has recently been published by the Combe Down Heritage Society. “A Village of Schools” looks at the many schools, and the workhouse, that have come and gone on Combe Down between 1727 and 2000.
Reviewed by local historian Andrew Swift, he praised the work and suggested it would be of immense help to future writers on the history of Combe Down.
Available now from the Museum of Bath Stone, 55 Combe Road, Combe Down; many local bookshops; or online at the CDHS eShop : Price £6
Many of us remember the commemorative plates that were commissioned to mark the completion of the stabilisation of the Stone Mines. Each of the 691 householders living over the mines was given a ceramic plate – one small part of a map – representing not only their individual house but the mine world beneath and the creatures to be found there.
Of the single print run that was made for exhibition, there are a number of duplicates remaining and these are available for sale to Combe Down residents.
Prices are from £5 to £10 depending on the image and detail depicted, with further price reductions available on request.
Contact: Jen Morgan at email@example.com or phone 01225